Friday, June 19, 2009

The Kolsch


I brewed the beer that started it all. A Kolsch. It's all we drank while in Germany, and it's delicious stuff. This was the first time I used Wyeast activator yeast. The yeast is in a sealed in a pouch with a little bag of activators for the yeast. You smack the activator bag so it mixes with the yeast and in a few hours the bag bulges as the yeast eats the sugars and produces CO2. After I pitched the yeast I put the batch in the closet to ferment. Two days later the lid was blown off the bucket. Fermentation was so vigoruous that the airlock was clogged with foam and I guess the pressure kept on building until it popped. The lid was resanitized and i put it back on. The fermentaion continued, so I hope that a good sign that it didnt get contaminated. I do now have a closet with beer crud all over the walls though.

No comments: