Thursday, February 11, 2010

Blueberry Oatmeal Stout and a New Gadget


I’m doing a Red, White and Blue brew series for this upcoming world cup. First up is the blueberry oatmeal stout. It won’t actually turn out blue probably more purple, but you get the point. The book Clone Brews was one of my xmas gifts this year. It has a recipe for Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout. This should be the perfect base to add the blueberries to. I love Sammy Smiths stouts. Hopefully mine will come close.

Recipe
8oz.-Flaked Oats
8oz-55L British Crystal Malt
3oz-Roasted Barley
5.75lb-Light Malt Extract
2oz-East Kent Goldings (I used American Goldings. That’s what the LHBS had on hand)
1tsp-Irish Moss
3.5 oz-Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast slurry (The yeast was saved over from another batch. I actually pitched more like 4.5oz just to be safe)
1-Roast the Oats in the oven for 75 minutes on 325. Stir every 15 min or so.
2-After the oats are done, add them to the other grains and steep in one gallon of 150 degree water for 20 minutes.
3-Sparge the grains/oats with half a gallon of 150 degree water.
4-Add the wort to your brew pot. I do full boils so I already had 4.5 gallons of water heating up during the steeping time. Add the LME now too. Make sure to have the pot off the burner when doing this. Don’t want any burnt LME on the bottom of the pot.
5-Bring to a boil and add the hops. Start the timer for 60 minutes.
6-With 15 minutes left add 1tsp irish moss and toss in the pot to sanitize it.
7-Cool wort and pitch yeast.

This is the second time that I have used my new submersible pond pump for the chiller. I had to figure out something now that I can’t use the garden hose in the winter. Plus wasting all of the water for the chiller was pretty lame. The pump is great. Only $30 at Ace. It’s not very powerful at all. The water is pushed through the chiller nice and slow. I froze the ice blocks over a few days time in tuber-ware containers. You need at least 6-10 big blocks to chill a 5 gallon batch. The chill time has gone down to around 25-30 minutes too. I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner.

No comments: